Friday, June 6, 2008

9-12 mos old

That is where Buddy's expressionary language development is. He's almost 23 mos old, but talks as if he is a 9-12 mos old. Well that would be why no one can understand him! So presently he is on a waiting list with the private therapists, and they are also sending the report to Child Developement Services with the state to have him receive in-home therapy with them. In addition it was recommended that he have his tongue clipped. So I made the call to the ped and he IMMEDIATELY set us up with an oral surgeon. They're even seeing him this month!
In the mean time because Sara (our speech therapist) started teaching him some sign he wants to learn. Before when it was just us, he got terribly irritated with us! So now we wait for the appt with the oral surgeon, and wait for the therapy report to come out so we can get things rolling. It is SO nice though to finally have a dx and not just think that its all 'in my mind'.

2 comments:

TracyMichele said...

It is hard not to go with our guts as parents. We wonder if it is "in our mind" a lot. I have to remind myself that God gave mums instincts.. we just need to trust his design and act on them.

Glad to hear he is on the road to getting some help. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi.. I am Julia's friend Heidi (in AZ). Anyway I just wanted to let you know that my son too has speech problems and when he was 2 1/2 I finally reached out to get help. One thing you may want to look into is your local school district offers free preschool for children that qualify for speech. I never knew about this and my sons Dr brought it to my attention. He has been in this program for 2 years and his speech is clear. I have also been on therapy waiting lists but this preschool was free and it really changed his life. Just thought you might want to look into it.