Saturday, August 18, 2007

Leftover Bread

For some reason no one in our house likes the 'ends' of the loaves of bread. Sometimes I try to sneak them in a grilled cheese, by placing that side in the sandwich, but usually they figure it out and say "ewww". However I don't like just tossing them. That's 2 slices of bread! (And really I don't want to eat them either....) And then it clicked. I make homemade meatballs (follow me here) every few weeks. My recipe calls for 8-10 slices of bread made into bread crumbs...DING DING DING! Rather than using the 'good' part of the bread to make bread crumbs, I grabbed an extra bread bag, and started tossing all the ends into one. I keep that bag in the fridge out of the way, but yet not completely out of sight (so I can remember to add to it, and so the bread doesn't mold). And it would be super easy if meatballs aren't on the menu anytime soon to toss in the freezer once I have the appropriate number of slices in a bag. Now back to making my meatballs for dinner tonite!

1 comment:

TracyMichele said...

I do this all the time with our bread. I toast the left over and throw it in the cuisinart and sometimes add italian herbs to make a flavored breadcrumb. In a ziplock bag or airtight container, these can be stored for up to 3-4 weeks.